Saturday, July 14, 2012

50 Shades of Grey Review

http://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Shades-Grey-Book-Trilogy/dp/0345803485/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1342298944&sr=1-1&keywords=50+shades+of+gray

I have finished reading the 50 Shades of Grey Trilogy and here's my take on it.
When I first started reading it, all I could think of was how I was reading Twilight. There are tons of similarities between the two books, which I know has been pointed out by other reviewers; but, just let me mention a few similarities. First of all Anastasia is a clutz. She literally trips into Christian's office and he has to be the hero in helping her up to her feet. She has a ditzy mom who is unable to take care of herself. The man Ana calls dad fishes and is a man of few words. Christian just needs a set of fangs with which to tell Ana how bad he is for her. Instead he welds a twitchy palm that wants to spank the dear Ana for not following his extensive list of rules. There is also another beau who would love to be more to Ana than just her friend. Ana of course says no to Jose telling him the age old line of how they are like brother and sister but nothing more. Poor boy!
It's quite hilarious because with all the lip biting Ana does it makes the reader almost bite her own knowing that it will get her a gift (an expensive gift) from the rich and powerful Christian.
The book continues along with a lot of repetitiveness that either makes the reader say, "How cute!" or "Yuck!"
There have been so many people who have focused on how UNChristian this book is and I believe it a bit ironic that the main character's name is Christian. Let me pause for a minute in laughter. I can't help myself! LOL!! This book is not near as kinky as lots of people want us to think it is. As Christian points out to Ana their sex life is pretty darn vanilla with just a sprinkling of spankings, hair pullings, being tied up a bit, and only one other set of balls. Hehe!! There's a small fraction of time spent on describing some of the more flavorful bits and pieces within the Red Room of Pain, but very little of it is actually used in the novel.  I'm sure there were many of us who were deeply disappointed with this. We had wanted to read some naughtiness, but of course there's not a whole lot of it here.  This novel is more like a Twilight with a little sex thrown into the mix.
I was discussing this book with a group of ladies at the book store and we all said that no man in the world could be as good as Christian at giving gifts and taking care of his woman in the way that he did. We all agreed that we could definitely put up with a few spankings for the power and riches Christian bestowed on his woman. It's a fair book, good for a frivilous first read; but, I don't think we will be rereading it anytime soon.
Happy Reading!
Tela

3 comments:

  1. Very good review, I think after this review and a few others from other bloggers whom I follow pretty regular, I just might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do and what you think about it! I look forward to hearing your take on it.
      Tela

      Delete