Tuesday, March 27, 2018

My Worry about Eating Sugar

This is me now:
I have lost about 75 pounds in the last 4-5 years. I have done it by cuttng back on things like boxed stuff and store stuff. At one point I was even making all my bread that was brought into my house. We eat more vegetables and stay away from all the processed, boxed stuff in the store that I have no clue what the ingredients are. And, I know none of those ingredients could be grown in a garden. I stay away from that stuff.

Lately, I have stopped eating sugar as well. It's been 6 weeks tomorrow that I have gone without table sugar. That white stuff that used to sweeten my coffee all the time. I've kicked it out of my system. At first, I had done this for lent. It was what I gave up. Diabetes runs rampant in my family and I thought it would be something good to do.

However, it's turned into something more.

This is what I used to look like:
I was quite large! I am still fluffy! However, I am no where near what I used to be in this picture.

I say all of this because I don't think I can go back to eating sugar! I crave sugar. The things in my house with sugar in it taunts me to eat it. I have not done so. I don't think I can do it! I really do not think I can eat just a little bit of it without eating too much. I've dropped the sugar now and just maybe that's where it should stay.

My dad takes dialysis 3 times a week because he was too sweet! Ha ha ha!!! He doesn't like sitting in that chair each week waiting for his blood to get cleaned. He's 75 years old.

I have a very dear friend who is also on dialysis now in his 40s and he hates it, too! He can never stop taking dialysis without a kidney transplant and even then may have to continue dialysis.

All of this because these men could not decide to eat right and exercise and leave off the sugar! I have to continue leaving off the sugar. I have to use things like honey and natural things that don't harm my body the way the sugar does.

It makes me want to cry, but it also makes me want to shout out that I can do it! I CAN win this fight against the ticking time bomb of diabetes that runs in my family. I CAN beat this thing! I CAN win! However, I just don't think I can have that slice of cake or a cookie with my vegetables. I believe it would send me down a spiral of sugar consumption that I'd have a harder time crawling out of than I ever have. I've kicked sugar out of my system and it probably needs to stay that way.

What are your thoughts about sugar? Is sugar as bad as we think it is?

Until next time, I am after another cup of coffee...without the sugar.

Love and peace,

Tela

No comments:

Post a Comment